Talk begins at 34 minutes into recording.
- Introduction to the Holy Spirit.
- God revealed as three persons in one in Bible
- Humanity as body, soul and spirit. The Holy Spirit dwelling in the human spirit = God’s order in the soul and the body. The Holy Spirit absent = disorder, sin and death.
- The Holy Spirit in the Old Testament.
- Active in Creation. Humans with a spirit nature created in the image of God. Genesis 1-2.
- Striving with humanity to restrain evil. Genesis 6.
- Coming upon individuals to anoint them for service. Numbers 11, Exodus 31.
- Saul and David – examples of anointing of the Holy Spirit and departure of the Spirit.
- Prophets and writers of scripture inspired by the Holy Spirit
- Messiah to be anointed by the Holy Spirit. Isaiah 11, 61.
- Prophecies of Holy Spirit to be poured out in days of the Messiah. Joel 2.
Talk begins 50 minutes into the recording.
- Holy Spirit involved in the incarnation of the Lord Jesus
- Holy Spirit in the baptism and ministry of Jesus
- John 3. Nicodemus and the new birth in the Spirit
- John 14-16. The promise of the coming of the Spirit after Jesus has departed, to come and dwell in the believer. Spirit to lead into all truth, to bear witness to Jesus and to convict of sin, righteousness and judgement.
- Acts 1.6-8. Jesus’ last words to disciples to wait for the promise to be baptised with the Holy Spirit.
Talk begins 40 minutes into recording.
- Connection to Jewish feast of Shavuoth / Pentecost. Day for giving of the Law at Sinai (Exodus 20), giving of the Holy Spirit (Acts 2).
- Visible and audible sign of the coming of the Holy Spirit. They began to speak in other tongues. Significance of tongues.
- Connection to the prophecy of Joel. Its last days’ significance and sign for the present age.
- Peter’s response – to preach the Gospel. Holy Spirit bears witness to Jesus. Why the death and resurrection of Jesus.
- The crowd’s response – What shall we do? Answer: Repent, be baptised, receive the Holy Spirit.
- The foundation of the church, filled with the Holy Spirit, based on the apostles’ teaching, fellowship, breaking of bread and prayers.